Scored Drive Flanges; can they be machined?

Rick:

I do not know about resurfacing but at nearly $100 each from impex (www.worldimpex.com) it might
be worth looking into...search for P/N 020 409 285Q and see what I mean!

If the groove is clean, I imagine it would seal OK.  If it concerns you, determine where the lip
meets the groove.  You might install the seals a little less deeply (or more deeply) so the lip
rides on a new surface.  BTW the seal is P/N 020 301 189H, dimensions are 50mm ID, 65mm OD, 10mm
width. Type WDF04.

All that being said...leakage is more likely due to radial movement of the flange, which can be
caused by three things:
- driveaxle flange loose fit onto axle (splines worn)
- extreme wear in diff bearings (n0t as common as you would be led to believe)
- wear in the diff housing bore that holds the axle.  This is actually pretty common.

How much you can wiggle the flange once installed will determine leakage potential more than
grooves, IMO.

BTW, what are we doing about your tranny?

HTH

Ron