Whos got the biggest rims on a scirocco II

Go much over 16" diameter and you have to use such thin tires (small section) to keep the overall diameter down that your rubber and aluminum becomes at-risk on normal pavement irregularities.
 If you want to "fill out" the wheelwells, just drop the car (which brings its own set of issues....)  :)

Everything is a compromise.

larry
sandiego16v

  yup, I'm Rollin on 17" flik wasps.  205-40-17 and it only rubs on "hard"
  corning:).  in my mind, 17's, may be too big if your looking for
  performance, but they do fill the wheel well the best if all your interested
  in looks.  18"s if done right could look good, but i think the sacrifices
  that would have to be made are not worth it.  one down side to my wheels is
  they are a hair on the narrow side(7"), which gives the car the look of
  "stilts"