Whos got the biggest rims on a scirocco II

I'm not good for advice here, mainly because 275/40/17's don't fit under stock fender wells :)

Though, when going huge on diameter, width becomes the main factor, as well as offset.  The opposite limit of clearing the fenders
is the firewall at the rear portion of the front fender wells, which you hit at full lock.

I'd advise against going crazy, since you end up doing silly stuff like this:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/0-allyn/rieger/images/030328-212034-Z10.jpg
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/0-allyn/rieger/images/030401-233943-Z10.jpg
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/0-allyn/rieger/images/030404-013400-Z10.jpg
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/0-allyn/rieger/images/030416-161205-Z10.jpg
So, save yourself some work, and go with single piece wheels, and bear in mind that the larger diameter, the easier it is to bend.

HTH
Al