Just air in the system or a bad master cylinder?

I was wondering whether a power bleeder would help make sure the air gets out of the system.  I'm talking about the Motive one that looks like an exterminator tank and uses air pressure to push the brake fluid through.  The only reason this would help, other than being very convenient, is that they push the fluid out faster than using the pedal.

I can't see how a problem with a caliper (other than a leak) could cause this, so it would have to either be air or a bad M/C.  Does the system apply any braking at all when the pedal falls to the floor?  Does the pedal feel dampened, like it is just leaking down to the floor?

The other possibility is that something is wrong with your linkage between the pedal and the M/C.  Maybe you didn't get the thingy lined up right with the M/C?

Not terribly helpful, I know, but at least you got a response. :)

BH