Just air in the system or a bad master cylinder?

Dan,

With all the fluid under the car it was hard to tell if there were leaks but
I checked for it and could not find any.

I am able to pump up the system with a few pumps.  when I first installed
everything it would take 4-5 pumps to get a firm feel but now it only takes
2-3 after priming the master clylinder

The MC was a new one and therefore should not have the problem of ripping up
the seals by over traveling it, but I could have and it may be the next
place to look. (does any one have a known good that I could try before I buy
another one?)

Bryan,

As I stated above I can pump up the system with a few pumps but there is no
damping force on the first pump as far as I can tell.

I am fairly sure that everything is lined up right since it (almost) works

Brad