OT: Vetran's Day/ Poppies

I am actually very lucky.  My grandfather not only survived WWII, but
Korea and Nam' and is still with us today.  As a kid I was always
facinated by his stories of the wars and of his life in Alaska after the
service.

Two years ago this December will mark the passing of my grandmother which
has been very hard on him.  From a very early time, he expected to go long
before she did.  This past December we moved him up from Florida and found
him a nice little house 2 miles from my own.  Close enough should anything
happen that we can get there, far enough he doesn't feel like he's being
watched like a kid.  He's still independant and walks about 2-3 miles a
day.

I do my best to get over ot his house at least one a week.  I still am
facinated by the memories he is able to recall at 85 years old.  Even if
he repeats a few, I don't mind.

Cathy was right on about the fact that the WWII vets are dissapearing.
I'm sure many of you had family that was in the war in some way or another
and that are no longer with us today.  Let them not be forgotten, if only
on this day remember them.

I'm very lucky and to those that still have family around that served in
WWII, please call or visit.  You may never know how much it means to them.
 So many in todays world have forgotten them, Don't do the same.

For any of those interested.  I have been working with my grandfather to
digitize the tons of photo's he has taken or collected from WWII.  I have
a small ammount of them on the net.  If you would like to see them, they
are at the following link.

My grandfather was a B-24 nose gunner durring most of WWII and was
assigned to one of the Jolly Roger's squads.

http://www.techography.net/gallery/WWIIpics

William S.