Gotta love these cars....

Last night on the way home, the speedo cable broke on the black 85. The needle dropped to 0 at 55. Humm..
The odo stopped so it must be the cable I thought.

At home I checked out a replacement part, but it was dark by then and I reasoned that I could make it to the weekend.
Go out this morning, and the car wouldnt start. Dead battery. Set up the charger and waited a few minutes. Still a really slow crank.

The Red 16v is nestled under its car cover in the garage. I could see it through the glass, as the car cranked.

Sent Jill for the key, lifted the cover and jumped in. Turned the key and ... Vrooom!

Thank god for nice weather today, because red got me here.

But... If the alt didn't charge the battery, then the blue wire didn't excite the field. If the speedo cable formed the ground frm the disp to the ground, but was interupted, will that cause the exciter wire to not have enough current to excite the alt and not charge the battery?