TDI Roc, updated info and more questions

On 5/27/06, Eric S <scirocco@vintagewatercooleds.com> wrote:

> Cory, as you can see, peoples opinions differ on this.

What is it that's said about opinions?  Oh yeah, they're like... oh, never
mind... :)

> B4 Passat.  TDIs Passats were sold in the USA as 96 and 97 models for the
> B4 chassis.  A3 Jettas were 97s and 98s.

And 99's.  More 99's than 97's, at least north of the border anyways.
99.5and up is A4.

*Intank* pump, commonly known as the transfer pump, can be retained, and
> left hooked up.  It will act as a lift pump, and is quite convienient.

The intank pump is not required, I used to use it for priming the pump after
maintenance, but it stopped working sometime over the past 5 years.  The
lower pressure in-tank pumps from the 1.8L engines is kess likely to cause
problems, but the higher pressure pumps from the 2L engines is asking for
leaks to occur.  The lift pump that is integrated with the injector pump is
calibrated and the low-side pressure (around 15 psi) and volume are critical
to the correct operation of dynamic timing in the VE pump.  The return
fitting on the pump incorporates a calibrated (and very small!) restrictor
orifice to ensure that  volume is maintained.

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd