mk1 fenders on ebay

Gordy Stedman wrote:
> On 5/24/06, *David Utley* <fahrvergnugen@cox.net
> <mailto:fahrvergnugen@cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     No, they are not heavy.  But when shipping something, once you get
>     past
>     a certain size you are paying for the extra space it takes up.  So in
>     other words, beyond a certain point, you are -paying- for it
>     -as-if- it
>     were heavier...
>
>     If that seat were split into two small boxes, one for each half, it
>     would have been no more that 40-50 bucks.  But since the box was
>     3X3, it
>     cost 130.00...
>

> Sent a pair of MK2 fenders to Brian Haygood from Oregon to Texas
> (really late on the delivery, sorry Brian) via DHL in the largest box
> U-Haul had, which I had to modify to a bigger size, for under $40.
>

>     I don't know the fella, and I have no idea, he might indeed be
>     gouging.
>     I only brought up the above because I was suprised how expensive it
>     was.  The whole seat with packing weighed no more than 40 pounds...
>
>     David
>

> Biggest reason people put stuff on E-Bay is to make money :)  I hate
> the bidding system so I shop craig's list and this list.  I love this
> list because of all the parts everyone has and the ability to be
> generous to fellow scirocco lovers (thanks again Koabi for the
> goods).  I try to price everything I sell to listers as the local
> pick-n-pull yard does since that is where I get most of what I need.
> Plus I never would have know about Peter and Potterman.
>
> --
> Gordy
> MK1 x 4
> MK2 x 1
I agree on all counts.  I think UPS is the most expensive carrier now,
DHL and Fedex are the new under dogs.  I should get into the habit of
working with them more, but since I can ship UPS from work...  *shrug*

But yes, he -may- indeed be gouging.  And if that is the case, then he
should be treated in the appropriate manner, by not bidding....  :-)

Cheers,
  David