TDI scirocco?

On 5/25/06, Cory Langford <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca> wrote:

> I know a while ago a couple lister were going to attempt it.  Did anyone
> manage to get a competed conversion?

Eric S. has had a Mk1 Scirocco TDI conversion project on the books for quite
some time, I don't know what the status of it is, however he may chime in.
He does have a "Mk3" TDI Scirocco (Corrado) which he acquired a few years
back - I think he still has it according to his .sig

I'm aware of a few A1- chassis TDI swaps, can't think of a Scirocco one
though.

I have not done any research on the topic, but I figured if it was done
> before this would be the best place to get info.

Maybe, although there are some diesel specific forums out there where
oilburners tend to congregate as well.

So a few questions to start off with:

> 1.  Are the TDI's drive by wire arrangement or do they have the mechanical
> TB?  IE: when I go looking for an engine do I need more than simply the
> engine harness and wiring, do  I need to grab the pedal assem and all
> electronics that go with it?

Factory VW TDIs are DBW, and disels don't have throttle bodies (later model
TDIs have anti-shudder valves, but they're not throttles...)   If you are
planning a TDI swap into an A1 chassis, your best bet is to either a) secure
all parts needed for the swap from a yard that specializes in sourcing parts
for swaps, or b) buy a wrecked car which has all the parts you need intact.

> 2.  Do I need to swap out the fuel distrib for the Diesel or can I reuse
> the rocs current fuel delivery system (in tank pump, main pump and fuel
> accum.)?

The diesel injection pump incorporates a lift pump (low pressure to supply
the pump with fuel) and a high pressure pump that generates injection
pressures up to 19,000 psi.  You can use your existing tank, and with some
rerouting, the fuel lines.  Other components of the fuel system will be
discarded.

3.  Did VW finally chance the block design with the TDI engine, or do they
> still have the bolt holes to mount up A1 motor mounts?

The A4 TDIs are a good swap candidate as they use a passenger's side mount
rather than a rear mount.  The 1.9 TDI is a "tall block" like the ABA.

4.  If anyone did the conversion, what did you use for a tranny?  Will an
> 020 bolt up and is there any issues with torque etc?

The A1 conversions I have seen included the cableshift transmission.   It is
possible to use a (I believe) G60 flywheel and an 020 gearbox.

One of the biggest challenges of this swap will be wiring (A4 swaps must
include the cluster with immobilizer)   Having access to a donor vehicle or
a yard that has experience with swaps and is willing to sell you everything
that you need will be critical to it's success.  It will be expensive and
time consuming, but the end result, even with the TDI engine in stock form,
will be reliable and fun.   Tuning options for the TDI include chips, power
boxes and inkector upgrades, followed by turbo and intercooler upgrades,
with clutch upgrades being required somewhere along the way.

A simpler (and potentially as satisfying) swap would be a 1.9 IDI engine,
which although not as efficient has similar power potential for less cost
and effort (the IDI engine is completely mechanical, making wiring a trvial
exercise.)

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd