Help! Hesitation at idle

John,
I had the same issue with my '88 16v.  I ended up replacing the O2
sensor, adjusting my timing, and adjusting my mixture.  I don't know
exactly what did it, but it solved my problem.  I'm still running rich,
I think, but it's an issue I'll deal with at Cincy.  Do you have a DPR
test rig?  Makes it easy to adjust your mixture, or you can just eyeball
it by adjusting and revving.  The adjustment screw is on the fuel
distributor, just right of the fuel connections (looking at it from the
front of the car).  It's a 3mm Allen to adjust it, righty richy, lefty
leany.  It doesn't take much turning to make a difference (start with
1/4 - 1/2 turn).
Nate