Help! Hesitation at idle

I am trying to get this car ready so I can take it to Cincy, but I can't
find the cause of
this final issue.  The car is an '86, originally an 8V now a 2.0 16V.  It
idles well now, though
it does vibrate quite a bit, but that probably is due to the hard rear
mount.  When I give it some
gas it kid of stumbles or hesitates for a moment before reving.  It really
only seems to do this
under 2k.  If I let off the gas at, say 4k or 5k and hit it again before it
drops below 2k it revs
right back up.
One noticeable thing that may or may not be related- the car is running
rich. I
don't know why,  and not really sure what I can do about that.
I did think about the gas- what was left in the tank was lower octane(3-4
gallons) and have
since added 92 octane, seafoam and today techron along with some more
gas.  Since doing
this it idles better, but my suspicion that the old gas, and it was old was
unfounded when
I took 5 gallons I drained from it and dumped it in the truck and it was fine.
Any thoughts on this?  Tomorrow is my last day off before I leave for
Cincy, so I would love to fix
this problem tomorrow.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

''98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-Now a 16V!
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic, 4 speed.- In the Rotisserie and under
restoration
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe