The Ghia

Mark Langford wrote:
> I'd have to call that the nicest compliment I've ever received!  You
> guys don't miss a thing.

Uh, yeah.  I meant it, too.  That is my kinda styling.  Except I'm
usually the guy who gets dumped on for getting drunk and telling people
they are stupid twits.  All those body kits can never replace real
design with clean lines.  Something good snapped in me when I saw that.

> Did you see the pictures at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/ghia3.jpg and
> http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/ghia1.jpg ?

Neato.  #2 is my wallpaper this week though.  The grey,...mmmmm.

> No "mechanic" has ever
> touched this car but me, except the guy that puts tires on the wheels.

Also very much my style.  Mechanics deserve the right to leave major
screw-ups to the owner.

> This will date me, but I bought that car new when I was 17, headed into
> the Air Force (steady paycheck ahead).   Right now it's only a 2110cc
> Type 1 with dual 48mm Webers that I figure is pushing 160 horsepower.

I may be the only lister to own a boxer, stock 1.9 wasser Vanagon.  I
have never tried to trick it out at all.  Pretty impressive stats.

Can I presume that you weren't in The Chair Force but actually flew?
What did you fly way back then?

I am old enough to have owned a 78 Polo (in Scotland in 88) and I went
to a local shoppe and asked what their bumper laws were.  "You don't
need them unless you crash a lot." (i.e. not required) and so I removed
the front to make a sexy wedge shape.  Too bad MkI Sciroccos have all of
those flat "teeth" in front without a bumper.  What are your bumper laws
or does nobody care?

> Having a runway right next door...well it doesn't get any better than that!

That was the feelgood story of the week for me.  I tried to explain to
non-car friends and they were all awestruck by the amount of effort that
went into that plane.  Could they have a hobby like that?  "No, I'm too
stupid," was the consensus.  Last question:  day job is...?