The weekend's piddly-ass tally

On May 22, 2006, at 6:46 PM, C Boyko wrote:

> I tend to put off piddly tasks, and this weekend was full of them,
> I still
> have two to go.

Here's MY weekend werk:

Thurs - PLAN to replace timing belt, but laid low by sinus
infection.  ("CHOO!  ick.  Lung butter.")

Fri -  replace timing belt.  Must make a couple of phone calls
because I disbelieve the Bentley. ("align the timing mark on the
harmonic balancer with the mark on the lower cover?  WTF did it say
to REPLACE, much less REMOVE lower timing cover?  And oh yea - I had
to remove that F*($%ing pulley on the crank so I COULD remove the
timing belt cover.  And that's when the f$%ing Allen Bolt Of Pure
Malevolence stripped out.  AHH! FLASHBACK!")

Sat - sinus headache flares up.  Plans to work on car waylaid by Top
Chef marathon on Bravo (Tiffani is SUCH a bitch) and Syttende Mai
festival in Stoughton (mmm.  Deep fried cheese curds and lefske.)

Sun - up at asscrack of dawn (NOT Daun).  Dog decides that the
chipmunks MUST! BE! BARKED! AT! *grumble*
New front suspension in in about an hour.  Start on rear; must
determine how all the parts fit together, what's missing, what needs
harvesting off old suspension, and why axle won't lower to remove
rear shocks.

Oh.

 From the Bentley: "Do not support the car on the rear axle beam; it
must be free to pivot in order to remove shocks."

Well, those jack stands are NOT gonna let the axle pivot.  Time for a
repositioning.

Remove top nuts in the car.  God, air tools make it seem like
CHEATING.  Remove lower bolt from passenger's side and remove shock.
Disassemble and put together new rear.  Bilstein yellow is purdy.
Can't quite get it re-installed; must remove other side.  Begin
trying to remove driver's side bolt.

Air's just not cutting it, let's try direct Force (long extension on
1/2" socket.  *snap*  Oh good!  It broke loose!  Wait....why isn't
the NUT turning?  Oh f$^&((&*! I snapped the bolt.  Make several
calls to listers to find replacements.  No dice.

www.boltdepot.com - has every size imaginable.  Including the M10x70
@10.9 hardness!  For pennies!  Of course, next-day shipping brings my
$4 nut-and-bolt order to over $30, but it's for my Scirocco!
NOTHING'S too good!

So, my car sits, axle drooping, waiting for a stupid $0.42 bolt.

And the powdercoating on the intakes.  THAT'S only been 2 1/2 weeks.

But it's for my Scirocco!!  NOTHING's......oh, screw it.  WIsh I had
a Sleeman's.

| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI       2006 Golf GLS                 |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net          81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
|                                 88 Scirocco  16V              |