Diagnose This: Episode 1

Timbo said:
>> Stock CIS-E
>
> Well, there's your problem!!! ;) just kiddin!! My megasquirt car runs
> like god now. It's FAST!

Oh, I am suspicious of the injectors, and will check flow pattern and
volume today.

>> Stock Exhaust
>
> What downpipe do you have? Did you take out that donut thingy in the
> exhaust? isn't stock fox exhaust like 1.25" or so? - Remember - the
> fox was only meant to have like 70 hp - and if the exaust was a bottle
> neck for that - it may be for you too.

AH! I forgot about the donut!  Since I didn't install this engine, I'm not
sure if its there!  It does have the stock downpipe and manifold on it at
the moment...I have a dual outlet from a dasher that can be installed
later.

If the donut IS there it does take the exhaust down to 1" or less, stock
exhaust is like 1.5", but a 1.6 should be able to run through that and
produce more than adequate power.  Regardless, thanks for the reminder, I
was planning on running the car with the cat disconnected for a quick test
today anyway, and while I am in there I will see if that damn donut is
still there.

> Other things. Have you checked to make sure the throttle cable is
> adjusted properly?

Yep, done.

>Any vacuum leaks (like Ed and I found on the old
> 1.8?). Are you running premium gas? and lastly, what are you running
> for ignition? Does it have the vacuum advance connected?

No leaks, stock electronic ignition (no knock), set to 8 degrees, seeing
36 degrees total advance and full advance.

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

1979 Dasher Coupe 2.0 8v
1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap project)
1990 Corrado TDI
1990 Fox Wagon 1.6 Heron Head 8v
1991 Cabriolet (2.0 crossflow 8v project)