My Mk1 questions (with pics); your answers

Phil Boeye wrote:
> I need the rubber piece that has four integrated vacuum rubber sleeves
> on it (pic below).  As well, I'd like to know what it is attached to.
> What is this part of the system?  I am guessing it has to do with
> EGR-related crapola?  Didn't trace it out as I was under the gun to
> get stuff done.

I got this one.

That is a vacuum amplifier and I don't think the rubber part is sold
separately but someone could check in EKTA.  It amplifies vac from 5mmHg
  in from the manifold to 50 mmHg (according to Bentley) in order to
supply the EGR valve with enough oomph to move after it gets caked up
with crud (but not much longer.)

I think maybe the rubber part is just a cowteat to plug on multiple
hoses at once and you can achieve the same result by plugging them on
individually with regular vac hose if yours is broken.  Is that a screw
holding it on?  These were different on different cars ....

In any case EGR is not something you want because it is unreliable
although it may may help smog tests when in perfect working order.  Just
make sure it doesn't leak vacuum.   Plug the line from the manifold,
ignore the line to EGR via a thermo-vac switch in the coolant hose.
What else does it go to?