axle/cv replacement refresher

At 08:14 AM 5/6/06, Daun Yeagley wrote:

>--- julie@menloparkrandd.com wrote:
>
> > Ok. A step by step.
> > 1) loosen the 30mm nut on the axle & remove it and the
> > washer.
> > 2) jack up the car and remove the wheel
> > 3) Place a heavy screw driver in the vent (slot) in the
> > brake disk to stop the axle from turning
> > 4) Undo the CV bolts one by one. Rotating the disk and
> > moving the screw driver. (6 all together)
> > 5) rotate the steering wheel to the end of travel. (PS
> > right turn/ DS left turn)
> > 6) Pop the inner CV out of the cup. (may need a rubber
> > mallet to do this)
> > 7) Push the Inner up and to the rear of the car and slide
> > the outer out of the bearing. (May need a whap of the
> > rubber mallet)
> > 8) Install is reverse of removal.
> > I did this last year on Draco 45 minutes from part pick
> > up to part drop off... (including the clean up of tools)
> > I am not an expurt, but I did sleep at a Holiday
> > Inn...........
> > have fun!
>
>Ahhhh but remember - this is an A2 with that friggin
>sub-frame assembly right in the road.  I've not done one on
>the A2, but I imagine it's slightly more difficult.
>

>Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
>'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
>'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
>'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172
>The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts -
>Ehrlich's Law.

Slighly.  You need to disconnect the ball joint stud from the pad carrier
to swing
the carrier out a bit, so the axle will have room to come out.  On my old
GTI, I
just remove the front control arm bolt since it was easier and gave even more
room to get that axle out.  Odd thing on this- When I got this GTI, it was
first
A2 car after having driven Rabbits and I ignored the Bentley because I "knew
how to change out an axle."  Boy was I wrong. I pried, beat and cursed that
damned thing and realized later on there was a difference.

John