axle/cv replacement refresher

--- julie@menloparkrandd.com wrote:

> Ok. A step by step.
> 1) loosen the 30mm nut on the axle & remove it and the
> washer.
> 2) jack up the car and remove the wheel
> 3) Place a heavy screw driver in the vent (slot) in the
> brake disk to stop the axle from turning
> 4) Undo the CV bolts one by one. Rotating the disk and
> moving the screw driver. (6 all together)
> 5) rotate the steering wheel to the end of travel. (PS
> right turn/ DS left turn)
> 6) Pop the inner CV out of the cup. (may need a rubber
> mallet to do this)
> 7) Push the Inner up and to the rear of the car and slide
> the outer out of the bearing. (May need a whap of the
> rubber mallet)
> 8) Install is reverse of removal.
> I did this last year on Draco 45 minutes from part pick
> up to part drop off... (including the clean up of tools)
> I am not an expurt, but I did sleep at a Holiday
> have fun!

Ahhhh but remember - this is an A2 with that friggin
sub-frame assembly right in the road.  I've not done one on
the A2, but I imagine it's slightly more difficult.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172