axle/cv replacement refresher

Ok the 86 Jetta VolksWeenie is telling me it wants it's CV joints replaced. CLACK CLACK when I turn the wheel and try to accelerate.  Now it's starting to pull almost like a flat tire when driving at speed.

Anyway I just looked over the Tech section and I seem to remember isn't there an easy way to pull these?

Remove axle nut, remove rear what are they 12pt nuts on tranny axle connection. turn wheel enough to remove?  Somewhere I thought I remember this.  Also it's cheaper and easier to replace complete axle rather than CV rebuild?

Looks like VolksWeenie has again taken away my days off where I could be working on my rocco with maintanence work on the daily dollar...I mean daily driver.

David
86 16v turbo rocc
86 16v rocc needing facual repairs
84 8v wolf rocc orgain donor