OT (A little): Car classifications & which model to race

It looks like so far the consensus is  - save a mk1 - beat on a mk2 ;)  I
tend to agree, as there are a whole lot of extra mk2 shells around here.
Finding a mk1 that is not a Flintstone style car (or worse) is pretty
hard.   On the up side, the local track has no walls so I can't really
kill it :)

As for the rarity factory.  Wouldn't having a rare mk1 on the track be
that much more spectacular than an every day mk2 ;)

I do have to dig into the regs (like I said I am really new at this).

>From a first glance it looks like the classes are generalized (at least on
the web site) to

Production: the cars in this class are allowed only limited performance
improvements such as springs, shocks, sway bars, and racing tires

G.T. (Grand Touring): Determination of classes is based on a car weight to
engine displacement factor

Formula: Formula Fords, cars that use a 1600cc Cortina/Fiesta engine based
on limited modifications, and the Formula Vees, using a Volksagen 1200cc
engine.

Sports Racing: These cars are pure competition designs intended to
maximize the rules under which they are built. They are generally
classified on engine size.

I know there must be more to it than that, but If you go with a
displacement to weight, would that not level the playing field a little?
IE: not having to worry about a 180hp vw competing with a 500+hp transam.

Off to due some research....

Cory Langford
'86 Roc turbo,
'78 Roc turbo - Daily driver project,