Anyone ever install a MegaSquirt on there VW?

Check out:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1408586

and
http://www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=48

As Julie points out it isn't cheap. You do have to buy injectors, FPR, fuel
rail and various sensors and, of course, the MS itself. OTOH, it's alot
cheaper than any alternative and just as effective if not moreso (in
specific relative to SDS).

It is a DIY project although there are lots of people/companies selling
"plug and play" versions. I'm sure due to the DIY nature that a lot don't
ever get installed, but there are a lot of people on the www.msefi.com forum
that appear to start out with a very small clue about engine management that
get their MS up and running. You will not find better product support for
any aftermarket engine management than Megasquirt.
Check out www.msefi.com to see for yourself.

I don't think the work involved install MS is overwhelming. It could be done
in a weekend (not including the time to assemble the MS) , but I'd think
you'd need to be pretty well informed to do it that quickly. If you have a
decent overview of engine fuel and ignition requirements and understand
basic wiring schematics then it's not too difficult.
Tuning it, just like any aftermarket engine management, is not a set and
forget sort of thing though. Best bet is to plan on acquiring a WB-O2 and
carrying your laptop around with you for a couple months.
Dan