Mk1 trans AGONY! FIX, maybe...

Here's a couple of things to try:

1) Get together all the longest 3/8" extensions you have, borrow if needed.
You want about 2-3 feet total (I use 2x 12" and 2x 8").
    Put together, with the 12 pt. wrench on the inboard end, for now leave
the ratchet OFF. Put the 12 pt. in the bolt you're trying to remove, whack
the outboard end of the stack with a hammer ("whack" is a vague term, "tap a
few times firmly" might be better. You'll be able to tell by sound & feel
when the tool is firmly seated in the bolthead). The idea here is to push
out the gunge & goo that tend to accumulate in the ends of the inner CV
bolts so that the 12 pt. has got a good fit to the bolthead.
    The outboard end of the extension stack should be out by the brake
rotor... it isn't stricly necessary but is much more comfortable, and it's
thus easier to maintain the correct angle (perpendicular) to the bolthead.
    I've done bunches of VW/Audi CV's, this usually works unless the bolts
have been completely stripped out by some Bubba with an SAE 6-point (which
is alas all too common).

2) On each inner CV there are 6 bolts, which are paired into 3 washers. FOR
EACH PAIR OF BOLTS IN THE SAME WASHER, go after the bolt to the right, that
is CW (clockwise) first. If you can extract that bolt, you can then lever
the washer CCW with a large screwdriver. That will also turn the remaining
bolt and loosen it a bit, making it easier to extract.
    A little extra leverage by way of vise grips won't hurt, but be careful.
Vise Grips by themselves usually won't get enough grip to turn a balky CV
bolt.

3) Worst case, if you do have to hacksaw the bolts... don't. Get somebody
else to. Find the aforementioned Bubba, bet him $10 he can't saw through all
six bolts in less than 30 minutes... go have a beer, come back in a while.
If he's got more than two cleared for you, for $10 you're ahead of the
game...
    Seriously those bolts are TOUGH. Expect 15-25 minutes per, to hacksaw
out. Hopefully tricks #1 & 2 will be sufficient.

Good luck.

Karl