Brakes

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:55:27 -0500, "Chuck Blue" <sukchew@cox.net>
wrote:

>  Peter is supplying some of the parts but I still need the following.2 -10.1" front rotors,16 V Scirocco carriers,16V proportioning valves,and a 16V cluster with a new or rebuildable master cylinder.I plan on going with stainless steel lines.
>  I also need lots of technical input,tricks,and what don't work.

Random remembrances of doing this.. many years ago.

The 16v calipers bolted to my original 75 hub carriers without any
modification.  Didn't have to change the shields, either.

Are you changing the power brake booster as well as the m/c?  I had to
fab a shaft extension to work with my original pedal cluster.  You can
change out the pedal cluster.  I'm not sure what years/models are
compatible here.  The later booster is way bigger diameter than my
original and tightening the nuts on the firewall side (mine are studs
out of the firewall - later years may be thru bolts?) is a real pain.
Bent a wrench (and skinned some knuckles) to be able to get at two of
them.

Brake light switches were pressure actuated on the old m/c.  New one
had none so had to fab a mount for a pedal actuated switch (from a
junked cabby).

I was able to re-bend the rear hard lines to mate with the prop valves
as well as the passenger front hard line.  The driver front hard line
was too short to work so I bought a new one with ends from NAPA.  Got
a cheap FLAPS hard line bender setup to do all of these.

The best part is that the first time you step on the binders, you'll
know it was all worth it.

Maybe these will help you:

http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/brake.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~gforbess/images/switch.jpg