From: Phil Boeye [mailto:roccophil@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 5:46 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Patching a TT exhaust pipe - need suggestions

OK, this is self-exposing, but whatever.  I need this taken care of.

Years ago I cut a 2" TT ss exhaust to clear the rear axle (in a hurry to get
the transplant down and out of town).  Yes, now I know I should have dropped
the stupid axle.  Anyhow, for years I had a stainless sleeve wrap on it
(with a soft wrap underneath - some asbestos-like stuff).  This did a fine
job until I happened to run over a deer carcass abopuit 1.5 years ago.
Dusk, rising over a hill at a good clip, not wearing my stupid glasses for
nighttime driving - boom.
Horrid little 10-15ft of driving, that.  Anyhow, it weakened the joint and
it's to the point where I have to fix it.

So I am taking suggestions.  I am off tonight to get a 2" ID connector pipe
and some brackets.  I was thinking of using exhaust sealant on the edges of
the exhaust pipe and then slipping the sleeve over, bolting down hard and
then running a few spots of JBWeld along the edges of the sleeve to secure
it to the exhaust pipe.

So I am open to any suggestions for a better method to salvage this TT
exhaust.  It needs to be very secure and it has to pass inspection.  I have
one shop that will take it each year with a GO, but a Merchant's Tire has
failed it due to the VA law stipulating against cut/hacked pipes patched
together.

-Phil, regretting that stupid whizzer wheel moment years ago