Patching a TT exhaust pipe - need suggestions

OK, this is self-exposing, but whatever.  I need this taken care of.

Years ago I cut a 2" TT ss exhaust to clear the rear axle (in a hurry
to get the transplant down and out of town).  Yes, now I know I should
have dropped the stupid axle.  Anyhow, for years I had a stainless
sleeve wrap on it (with a soft wrap underneath - some asbestos-like
stuff).  This did a fine job until I happened to run over a deer
carcass abopuit 1.5 years ago.  Dusk, rising over a hill at a good
clip, not wearing my stupid glasses for nighttime driving - boom.
Horrid little 10-15ft of driving, that.  Anyhow, it weakened the joint
and it's to the point where I have to fix it.

So I am taking suggestions.  I am off tonight to get a 2" ID connector
pipe and some brackets.  I was thinking of using exhaust sealant on
the edges of the exhaust pipe and then slipping the sleeve over,
bolting down hard and then running a few spots of JBWeld along the
edges of the sleeve to secure it to the exhaust pipe.

So I am open to any suggestions for a better method to salvage this TT
exhaust.  It needs to be very secure and it has to pass inspection.  I
have one shop that will take it each year with a GO, but a Merchant's
Tire has failed it due to the VA law stipulating against cut/hacked
pipes patched together.

-Phil, regretting that stupid whizzer wheel moment years ago