[OT] Diesel HG help needed

Bottom posting:

Spewey wrote:
> Mark F. wrote:
>
>> Anyone got advice for a diesel newbie on the differences I'll
>> experience vs. the same job on a gasser?
>

> What's different is:
>
> -the head gasket is made of copper and you can get different thicknesses
> plus you need to do a bunch of 1/4 turns after xxx miles
> -the oil is really fucking nasty chemistry-wise so keep washing your
> hands clean
> -the pump timing needs to be set (harder than a regular t-belt)
> -the horsepower won't defrost a witch's tit even if you do it perfect

More importantly, the HG is an interferance engine with VERY tight
tolerances.  If you're off even one tooth on the timing belt, you can
toast your engine in 1 crank.  When you retime the engine, slowly rotate
the motor via the crank nut slowly and check for any interruption.  I
helped a buddy replace his injection pump a couple weeks ago, in an
attempt for him to come to Cincy, and it's a good thing we checked,
because our reference marks were off by 1 tooth.

Nate
Friend of a deisel guru.