  From: Craig Steiner
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 4:23 PM
  Subject: Re: was Oil companies/now mpg

  As I said in my post:
  "I'd try to fill up at the same indicator level every time and would, on
  average, take about 10.5 gallons, give or take about .3."

  To dumb it down a bit:
  The average 10.5 gallons would fill the tank.  I actually kept a log for
  several months and did my calculations based off of the amount it took to
  fill the tank and how many miles were driven.  Therefore, since I knew my
  tank was full when I started, and it took 10.5 gallons to fill 'er up, and I
  drove 350 miles I could assume a rough MPG of 33 for that tank of gas.  I
  know there are many variables involved but I consistently got the same
  results.  City/Highway conditions were also considered.  Rarely did I get a
  chance to do "pure" highway driving.  But when I did, I'd put a little star
  next to the results.  Big picture being, on average, I got more out of a
  tank of gas using Shell than any others.  The BP results were so bad, I
  avoid them completely now.  Shitgo, Exxon, Texaco and Hess were about even.
  Where I lived allowed me to sample the same brand from different stations
  with the exception of Hess.  They only had one station that I knew of in my
  section of Jacksonville.

  Hope that clears it up for you Larry.

  Craig