ARP head stud questions...

  You're wrong - aluminum and cast iron have different expansion rates
  when heated.  ARP bolts are torqued to 75% of their yield strength, so
  the recommended 5 ft/lb difference between the torquing aluminum and
  cast iron heads must make up for the different expansion rates

   Makes sense.   But, I would venture that, since actual torque values will vary by 5ft/lbs easily between torque wrenches in use today (how many of you have had your torque wrench calibrated traceable to NIST standards lately??) you can probably ignore that.  I'm talking real world rather than in a perfect world.

  So you're saying I shouldn't go with ARP's own recommendations?  I
  fail to see the logic there...

    I fail to see the logic in using ARP's recommendations when they appear to be so far out of line from VW's.  I'll say it again; get more information before you button it up.
    larry
    sandiego16v