head torque

Consider this:

 The Bentley for the '85 - '93 engine calls for tightening the bolts to 43ft/lbs, then adding another 1/2 turn.

Now, as one who has tightened enough JP and JH head bolts over the last five years, I can tell you that the effort to reach that final 1/2 turn is 3-4 times what it was to achieve 43ft/lbs. ;)
  My calibrated arm says it's close to 150ft/lbs.

54ft/lbs (or even 61), is about another 1/32 turn beyond 43ft/lbs.

larry
sandiego16v

  In the days before the low torque then tighten a specific angle, VW head
  torque is 54 ft-lb, 61 for a diesel.
  This is straight from the 1977 VW repair manual.

  I hope you are not assuming that the final torque setting for a head
  bolt/stud is 65ft/lbs.  !!!

  larry
  sandiego16v