  From: Craig Steiner
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 4:53 PM
  Subject: Re: OT: Oil companies

  I've run just about every grade/brand of gas in my '88 16V and the only
  thing I ever noticed was the mileage I got.  No noises, acceleration
  problems etc.  I actually tested this out about 2 years ago and I could get
  360 miles on a tank of 93 octane Shell gasoline during highway driving.  87
  octane BP was the worst at 270 miles.  BP was also the worst of the Premium
  gasolines.  310 miles if I remember correctly.  Shell was the best for city
  driving too, averaging about 330 miles per tank.  Now, my tests weren't
  exactly scientific. I'd try to fill up at the same indicator level every
  time and would, on average, take about 10.5 gallons, give or take about .3.
  I think I sampled the different stations enough that most errors probably
  averaged themselves out.

  Craig
  '88 Alpine White 16V