  From: LEF
  To: Dan Bubb ; Mark F. ; Mtl-Marc
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:34 AM
  Subject: Re: head torque

  Consider this:

   The Bentley for the '85 - '93 engine calls for tightening the bolts to 43ft/lbs, then adding another 1/2 turn.

  Now, as one who has tightened enough JP and JH head bolts over the last five years, I can tell you that the effort to reach that final 1/2 turn is 3-4 times what it was to achieve 43ft/lbs. ;)
    My calibrated arm says it's close to 150ft/lbs.

  54ft/lbs (or even 61), is about another 1/32 turn beyond 43ft/lbs.

  larry
  sandiego16v

    In the days before the low torque then tighten a specific angle, VW head
    torque is 54 ft-lb, 61 for a diesel.
    This is straight from the 1977 VW repair manual.

    I hope you are not assuming that the final torque setting for a head
    bolt/stud is 65ft/lbs.  !!!

    larry
    sandiego16v