Substitute Reg for Prem? Re: OT: Oil companies

All this octane requirement stuff depends on your engine and how ignition
is regulated. In my 8Vs original configuration, it didn't hear knock (no
sensor) and was low compression, so "getting retarded" wasn't an issue
anyway, and knock wasn't too likely an issue either. I personally think it
runs better on higher octane in its present configuration(10:1 with knock
sensing), as does my 16V. FWIW, I just got 40 mp(CDN)g  at 4200rpm/80 mph.
I'm pretty impressed. Slowing down and not pouncing on the loud pedal (or
swapping out fifth) would do even better I'm sure.

Cathy