8v Valve stem seals

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 04:53:40 +0000, "Karl Krupke"
<kkrup62@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi list,
>    I'm trying to find information on a factory defect VW had in the late
>'70's, it was on the 8v in '78 I think.

Defective (or they just failed rather quickly) valve stem seals were
also standard equipment on my 1975.  I had the head rebuilt the first
time (stock) at about 60k miles as it was really blowing oil smoke,
especially at startup.  This was probably about 1979-80 and the
machine shop was well acquainted with the problem.  It was on my
nickel.. VW was not involved.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9