8v Valve stem seals

>From what I can remember, the valve seals were of poor quality and over time
they hardened and didn't seal.  This would allow oil to get sucked in
through the intake valves and emissions would go through the roof.  So the
recall was based on the car not being able to pass emissions tests.  But
after a certain mileage or years they didn't have to honor the recall
because it was past the "emissions warranty" period.  I don't think it
applied to my original engine in my 78.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
95 Passat
Second Owner

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Krupke [mailto:kkrup62@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:54 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: 8v Valve stem seals

Hi list,
    I'm trying to find information on a factory defect VW had in the late
'70's, it was on the 8v in '78 I think.
    As I recall, the problem was the factory valve stem seals were too good,
didn't allow any lubrication at all to the valve guides. So the guides
failed early. There was a quiet "recall", nothing dramatic.
    For a while there was a "new" good type seal, and an "old" bad seal.
    Anybody else know anything about this issue?

Karl