was tune-up routine? now Solid lifters

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:40:02 -0400, "Mark F." <mk1mark@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Untrue...  Unless the base circle is different (shouldn't be), you
>will not have to change out the shims.  I've never had to change shims
>with any cam I've installed.  The gap is measured with the lobes
>pointing up...

This is some more Drake-think (1988 vintage) on the hydro head I just
re-read yesterday that seems to address the point:

"The 83-84 1.8L head is similarly simple, but since the valves are
specially made by Drake, the valve stem length is identical to stock,
and therefore the cam base circle can remain stock sized as well.

The hydraulic head is the real nightmare. In this head, MUCH has
changed. The valves are shorter. The cam base circle is smaller. The
distance between the cam bearing bore centers and cam follower holding
tray is much smaller, therefore requiring clearance grinding for
almost any (true) high performance cam. The valve guide protrudes much
farther into the ports. And the valve spring depth is deeper (though
the valve springs are the same size). All this is because of the
difference between hydraulic and mechanical lifters."

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9