Racing & Safety [was: Re: Looking for recommendations on a Helmet...]

shisler wrote:
> you'd rather have an open face helmet on a motorcycle so you can drag your
> chin on the ground when you fall off? im gonna have to disagree. if you are
> just doing casual autocross an openface helmet is plenty. look at what they
> give you at event to rent when you go. most are open face. some are even
> half shell. there is a difference between nascar and casual autoXing

NASCAR drivers were the last to switch to full face helmets. They seemed
to think they would look like sissies. They always seem to be the last
to adopt safety gear. A lot of large diameter steel tubing was their
safety program. Even after 2 or 3 fatal crashes (including Dale
Earnhardt) many were reluctant to adopt the HANS device. For the the
most part they seem to be in sync with the rest of the racing community
now. I think the HANS device is mandatory in NASCAR now.

Chris