Clarification on CA DMV Rules

Gordon Forbess wrote:
> First, determine if the VIN has "fallen out" of the Cal DMV system..
> I think it takes 5 years.  If it has, don't present any of the old
> paperwork, just start from scratch.  If you are an Auto Club member,
> they will tell you which way is easiest.  *The Cal DMV is NOT helpful*

Why in the hell would he want to register it in California at all?  The
second he buys it it becomes a PA car.

> If the VIN is still in the system AND the car has not been registered
> "non-operational", you will probably have to pay the back registration
> fees as you have heard to get a temp operation permit for a smog test.

Screw California and your smog problem, I'm sure ya get 7-30 days to
transfer the title.

> If the VIN has to be formally "verified", it needs to be seen in two
> places.  I lost the title to my car years ago and had to have this
> done to get a replacement.

I think you are confused here.  If CA wanted to verify the VIN in two
places Thursday morning, they could with no problem.  There it is.  The
problem is that he needs to drive to San Diego and if he does that with
expired blue plates, he is begging to get pulled over even if he has
paperwork inside.  The best deal would be $16 for a temp tag that let
him drive to SD without expired plates showing but that may be fantasy.

I think Jeff's method is ingenious.  They are both silver 83s, just
bring the PA tags on the plane and switch them in a quiet place.  The
chances of a speeding cop anywhere in the country checking the VIN with
his eyes is miniscule (that was Jeff's joke) because the PA papers or PA
DMV computer is much easier.  Unless, of course, DHS finds Plates on a
Plane suspicious and phones them in.   Dunh dunh daa!

Good luck, Marc.  Let us know what happens.