big day of a/c work starting tomorrow

Hi all,

First I wanted to share a link I found today while looking for a place to
rent an A/C vacuum pump:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1665946

If you can get past the 'honda' thing, there's some decent information
(and pictures) here. Some of it is a little bit off, but nothing too
serious.

It turns out that as explained in the link, Autozone will loan you the
vacuum pump for a $200 deposit which is returned in full when you bring
the pump back. It's hard to get a better deal than that, although in the
thread many people had trouble finding an Autozone that had a pump to loan
them. The author is in Phoenix and I'm in Tucson.. so maybe it's just an
Arizona thing. I don't know.

I borrowed the pump tonight and supposedly they want it back in 3 days so
I'm scrambling to get things together so I can work on the A/C for the
next few days after work. I had been planning to do this work over the
weekend and I still might have to, but I'm a little concerned that the
manager wasn't joking when she told me "you bring it back late, you bought
it", or something along those lines.

I bought a manifold gauge/hose set from them for $49. It looks like it's
going to work but if not I can return it and spring for the $79 set.

I ordered a receiver/dryer ($17), expansion valve ($27), and a set of
o-rings ($20) from Autohaus AZ on Sunday. They are to arrive tomorrow via
UPS. I already have the r134a high and low side fittings from a previous
attempted conversion.

My whole formerly-installed A/C system is sitting in a pile in my garage
so I have to re-install everything before I can pull a vacuum and charge
it up. If I'm lucky I'll be able to put the system together in one evening
and pull the vacuum/charge the next. In fact, I'd better be lucky since
this is my only car and I have to drive to work in the morning!

First order of business is the expansion valve. I took the old one off..
for some reason it was buried under a mound of white goo not unlike
highly-sticky poster putty.

Then I'll put the condenser back in in front of the radiator, and the
associated hard line with the pressure switches in it. Then the
alternator, ps pump and water pump come out so I can put a new bracket in
for the a/c, and put all of those back on it (and the compressor this time
as well).

After that I'll feed the lines back through the firewall and hook them up
to the compressor and condenser. I'll put the dryer in place with the caps
still on and leave the lines to it unconnected for the moment.

The flap of plastic I cut in the heater box gets folded down, then I'll
slide the evaporator and expansion valve assembly, along with the
thermostat, in to the heater box and hook up the a/c lines to it. The
thermostat will get mounted back up inside the dash with the hvac
controls. I'll be putting new o-rings everywhere that a connection is made
between lines or components in the course of all of this.

The electrical for the compressor clutch and pressure switches has to be
re-connected, then I can open up the new dryer and connect it to the
lines.

At that point, I will hook up the manifold and start drawing a vacuum
through it with the pump. After I have a good enough vacuum I'll give it
some time to leak down (hopefully it won't) then if everything is good
I'll hook up a can of refrigerant, purge the air from the lines then add
it as a gas (with the can upright). Same for the oil (but as a liquid,
duh), then repeating the process for the second can. I'll be keeping an
eye on the gauges to see if the system pressures fall within the bentley
chart.

After the charge is finished, it will be time for a drive.. and hopefully,
I'll have A/C that works well and continues to works well for the weeks,
months, years to come so that I don't have to work on it again. At least
that's what I'm hoping for after trying to do everything "right".

Here are the questions I haven't answered for myself yet:
- should I oil the o-rings before installing? If so I'll need to get some
   oil in a plastic bottle rather than in the ready-to-charge can

- should I charge with the oil first or the r134a?

- how much oil should I charge with? 2 oz? 4 oz? It's probably in the
   bentley, I just need to look it up.

- should I charge with the engine off (relying on the pressure
   difference between the cans and the vacuum) or with the engine and a/c
   system running (my gut tells me to have the system turned on.. that the
   compressor will be off until the low pressure switch decides that there
   is enough pressure in the system to not damage it)

Anyway, I'll post when it's all over to let you guys know how it went.

-Toby