non-start

On 6:50:57 pm 01/26/06 Blake <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> well, the dist was a major mess - it's had a slow leak for while.
> contact cleaner + wire brush and a ground from batt. neg. to the
> alternator frame and i'm back in business.
>
> pluse i was low on gas.
>
> and *maybe* the ignition switch is on the way out...we'll see.
>
> blake/
>
> (oh - the little plug/sensor on the bottom of the distributor base is
> falling out - should i worry?  i held in in tighter with some wire for
> now (ghetto me))

Funny, I was quick to blame the switch, but what I got was a trip down
memory lane, the dealer did a switch on mine years back and it was in fact
a grounding issue. That repair was my car's departure from the care of
those who don't care.
Yeah, I tend to assume good grounds because I've spent so much time
improving mine. (And I have no delusions that I won't be always chasing
grounding issues) And that plug? Is it to the Hall Sender? Then yeah, it'll
give you grief if it's shaky. (like, it's pretty damned important...)
Carefully remove it (ie, not with a big yank that snaps the wires inside),
check the wiring to it for breaks, and then gently cradle it to the cap
with a nice broad cable tie or similar once you plug it back in.