Alternator woes!!!!

Quote from Cathy:
<<Seems in the multiple
tightening sprees the upper bolt (the one you loosen to use that gear
tensioner dealie) had somewhat stripped in the housing, and eventually just
would not hold. >>

This one is not loosening nor is it slipping along the bracket.  I even
scored the bracket to make sure it hadn't moved.

The must be some else that is shifting that I am not seeing.  Could it be
tha A/C?  I don't think so because then its belt would be loose actually
even tighter as it needs to move toward the altenator which would tighten
its own belt?????