Alternator woes!!!!

Can an alternator be bad without the alternator light coming on?  and how
can the belt keep needing to be tighten every few hundred miles?  When we
put it on for the third time we checked and double checked that nothing else
is moving.  When first put on it is so tight that the alternator is touching
the A/C compressor.  Some how it is stretching then we tighten and it
stretches then we tighten and it stretches.  It is not slipping as we have
to keep moving farther up the bracket each time.  Any one have any ideas
what the heck is going on?  What could be shifting?

--
Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1984 8V Audi 4000s (lastest addition)