G60 swap questions

Ditto all that, except to make it clear that the Corrado G60 uses Digifant 1, NOT Digifant 2. Completely different system. And except for a few strange birds, the G60 is the only car you'll find in the US with Digi-1...but the near-worthless Digi-2 is everywhere. Don't get Digi-2!

Neal

----- Original Message ----
From: Cory Langford <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca>
To: Gordy Stedman <ydrogs@gmail.com>
Cc: Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:02:36 AM
Subject: Re: G60 swap questions

Just a word of advice on the G60 brakes.  They are nice and showy, but I
have found (personal experience here) that on a MK1 they add way to much
extra weight to the front end and are not necessary.  On a mk2 you have a
bit heavier of a car, so you might think about it, but again the extra
unsprung weight compared to the stopping power of the 10.1 is just not
worth it for me.  If it is a track car and you really want braking then go
with a good wilwood as they are lighter.

I have the 10.1 fronts and the rear discs all x-drilled and I have never
had anyone out brake me in either a mk1 or mk2 :)

As for the g60 swap.  For easy of installation, go with your standard 020
tranny (I liked the FN because of the long gears - especially if you
decide to modify your g60 at any point).  Someone may correct me here, but
I have always used the clutch set that matches the tranny.  So use the
standard 1.8, 210 clutch kit that you like (might want something in the
"sports" area so you get a better pressure plate).

The wiring harness and ECU is the big item on the g60.  If you can get it
complete from the car, strip off all the extra (head lights,etc) from the
loom and keep just the engine management stuff.  The nice thing about the
digi-2 harness is it is basically completely self contained.  You can use
the harness and run only a switched +ve, and a ground to the roc and you
have it running.  I would suggest using a relay arrangement to make sure
you have a really good +12V source.  Once of the issues with Digi-2 swaps
is that ECU really needs a correct 12V.  If it gets less than the 12V it
does some very strange things.

Also make sure you have a good vacuum tube going to the ECU.  It has to be
the correct diameter, and a not flexible hose.  When they say Exactly 1
Meter, they really mean it.  The MAP sensor is calibrated and you need the
correct hose at exactly 1 meter.  This is another issue with some swaps.
Tuning becomes really erratic with out the correct hose as the pulsations
from the wrong diameter or wrong length really cause the MAP sensor to
read strange values.  On older engines this hose is usually pretty brittle
at the ends, so I'd replace it in the swap just to be safe.

Also, while you are installing the engine, make sure you have a decent
charger.  The g60 has gotten a bad rep. because of so many owners not
servicing them correctly.  It is imperative to keep the oil changed on
schedule and do the maintenance on the charger or it will grenade on you.
I have had no issues with the two swaps I have done, I know people with
out an issue, and then I know a couple who have put huge holes in their
cases.  So if it has high miles on it.  Rebuild the charger before you put
it into the car.  Just make sure you get it done at a reputable place.  I
am not sure how many shops are around you that work on the G60 charger,
but I know around here there are many speed shops that rebuild turbos, but
most don't see the g60 often.  So they order up the cheaper parts.  Stay
well away from shops that use the oversize bearings.  You need to order
the German bearing set.  The over size set most use will press it, but
they will fail a whole lot quicker and once they press the oversized
bearings in, your case is now useless.  You can never rebuild it again.  I
personally use Dave at KompressorKanada (www.kompressorkanada.ca).  He
knows the G60 inside and out and can make it do some wonderful things if
you have the cash :)

If you have the money at the time of the swap, I would suggest doing an
ISV reroute, using an RSR (or similar) output for the charger so you can
get rid of that silencer box, using a cone filter (so a roar or something
similar on the intake) to make it easier to fit into a roc, and adding a
header.  Even without the upgraded charger the header and intake mods make
the g60 an extremely nice engine when it comes to torque.  Down the line
when you get the cash, add a cam, sns chip and an upgraded charger with
68mm pulley.

Regardless of what all the turbo junkies will tell you.  When I compare
the turbo setups I have had and a stage 4 done out G60.  I thought the mk1
roc with the stage 4 G60 was the most fun to drive.  Granted the turbo
setups have better response at the high revs., but I have never seen
anything that can throw you back into your seat the way a nicely done out
G60 can.  Once you get to that point you will seriously be considering a
quaife :)

Cory Langford
'86 Roc turbo,
'78 Roc turbo - Daily driver project,
'65 Ghia Coupe
95 Eurovan, etc, etc... :)

Gordy Stedman <ydrogs@gmail.com>
Sent by: scirocco-l-bounces+cory_langford=bcit.ca@scirocco.org
Jan 23, 2006 03:27 PM

Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
cc

Subject
G60 swap questions

Calling out Phil, Corey and all the other G60 swap gurus. I am trying to
think of all the parts I need to get to swap in the motor and front brakes
from a wrecked G60 Corrado.  Am I OK in just getting the motor and using
my
020 tranny so I do not have to swap over the the cable shift?  Can I use a
standard 210 clutch?  I intend to get the engine, supercharger, fuel
system,
inter cooler and all the piping.  The wiring is bad so I will need to
source
some from a different vehicle later.  On the brakes, I was just going to
get
the front calipers and disks but will I also need to get the master
cylinder, booster and pedal assembly and any proportioning valves?  Is it
worth my money to get the rear brakes also and swap over the entire
system?
TIA for your help and any tips would be very appreciated.

Other news is that I have the wrecked 77 behind my truck right now!  Can't
wait to get her home and start inventorying all the parts.

--
Gordy
MK1 x 3