Designing a Buggery Free Scirocco was: So my electricals are completely buggered

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:25:04 -0500, GGehrke <ggehrke@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yea, I think that's an approach I'd like to go with if possible.  Any
>idea what sort of specs, specifically amperage, I should look for in a
>relay to power the starter?
>I mean, that's essentially what the solenoid on the starter is, right?
> So it shouldn't require like 2 gauge or anything, but I'm thinking
>just using a medium gauge wire to the start button will be
>sufficient..  or should I try to relay it anyways?

What I did was install a 40 amp relay, triggered by the stock wiring
from the ignition switch.  This relay, when triggered, applies voltage
through a 10awg wire from the + battery post to the solenoid on the
starter.  It removes the problematic high current running through the
ignition switch and applies a "clean" 12v directly to the solenoid for
starting.

There is a VW/Bosch kit (WR-1) that does the same thing.  It was sold
for many VW applications that had problems with the solenoid drawing
enough current to cause a large voltage drop, which in turn released
the solenoid.  You'd get sort of one grunt from the starter, but it
wouldn't stay engaged long enough to crank the engine.  Most people
would falsely conclude it was a battery or starter motor problem.
While a fresh battery might do the trick for a while, the problem
would return.  If you shop for a Bosch starter online or go to the
Bosch applications guide on their web site, you'll find a cautionary
note about the problem.  Here is a bus page with instructions and a
couple of diagram/instruction links.
http://type2.com/bartnik/relay.htm

http://partsexpress.com has everything you need to do this for very
little money.