From: scirocco-l-bounces+rfkellner=snet.net@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces+rfkellner=snet.net@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of
GGehrke
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:33 PM
To: Scirocco list
Subject: So my electricals are completely buggered

Yea, my 80's electrics are shot.  It won't start on it's own now,
which was sort of the last straw, but I've been having problems with
tail lights, dash lights, etc.  I've got my headlights on toggle
switches that I just stuck through my dash.  My positive battery
terminal looks like medusa with probably literally 12 different wires
coming off it.

So I've resolved myself to fix it this coming weekend.  I bought some
of the parts I need at autozone tonight, but I want to look around
online as well.  One of the things I know I'm going to need is a power
distribution block.  They had them at autozone but they were like 30
bucks - I really don't need anything that nice.  Does anyone have
recommendations for where to get stuff like that cheap online?

I think I'm also going to have a bit of fun with it.  I sort of like
having my headlights on toggle switches, so I'm going to add another
one for the tails/parking lights plus a small one for the dash lights,
so I can completely eliminate the stock headlight switch.  I might
also revamp the dash lights with those really skinny neon ropes - just
glue it in a circle around the inside of the instrument bezel to glow
onto the gauge faces.  I know neon is a naughty word but trust me I
think it'd look cool.  I'm adding a pushbutton start (as opposed to
the current mode of operation, which involves a 2 foot section of 4
gauge wire that I touch to the battery terminal and starter solenoid
to bump the car over).  Adding a horn (just a universal button on the
dash).  Adding an LED high mounted tail light (my buddy drove behind
me tonight and said you could hardly tell when I was braking).  Move
my clock from the 79 to the 80.  Move the optima red top from the 79
to the 80.  Wire in the voltage/amperage gauges I found in a VW Van
last time I was at the junkyard (I forget why I thought this but I
think they're from a porsche)

While I'm at it I'll probably also paint my duckbill and bumper trim
and put that all back on.  Maybe collapse my bumpers.  Wash the car,
especially the wheels.

Looking forward to the weekend :)  My car's gonna loooove me (unlike
my girlfriend, who hates my car and is not happy with me because of
it)

A full report will be forthcoming.

-Grant-