Engine Shutdown

I would like to put this problem out to the list to
see if anyone has experienced a similar problem and to
see if I can get a jump on resolving the issue.

Recently the engine started to cut out momentarily
(tach drops to zero even with engine being driven by
the forward momentum of the car) and then pick up
again.  This progressed to the point where the engine
shuts down for several minutes before being able to
restart.  Finally the engine will run for a few
seconds only before cutting out.

The behaviour of the tach is suggesting an electrical
problem - coil, Hall sender, etc.?

I am working with Bentley and Haynes to pinpoint the
problem but thought it might help to check with
experience.

Thanks,
John