parts clarifacation

Get your cable from GermanAutoParts.  They carry only the high quality metal
encased cable that will not buckle under use.  Stay away from the cheap
plastic encased ones.  The good one can be had for the same price as a cheap
imitation.

Here are some pictures to compare the two.  On the green one you can see one
of the type of failures:

http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Don_Walter/Clutch_Cable/