For Sale: '80 Callaway Turbo Scirocco (long)

Why is the timing so bad?  I just can NOT afford it right
now.

This is the car Adam (Foxx in a box) posted about Friday.
I have written a pretty lenghthy description, posted below.
 I also took a number of pics, which I can e-mail to anyone
seriously interested.  This car would make an incredibly
good starting point for anyone, or for that matter, keep it
as is.

If anyone is seriously interested, e-mail me.  I would be
MORE than willing to help someone in the acquisition /
storage until Cincy '06 for free.  (PLEASE?!?!)  This car
needs a good home with an enthusiast that will appreciate
the car for what it is.  If I didn't have so many irons in
the fire / financial drains at the moment then this post
would never have made it to the list.

On with the description:

Car:  1980 VW Scirocco w/Callaway Turbo
VIN#: 53A0076087

Exterior:
Initial impression is that this Scirocco is in very good
condition and has been someone's "toy."  The Indiana Red
paint is a respray of the original color and looks good
from a couple feet away.  Upon close inspection there is
some "spider webbing" indicating the surface was not
thoroughly prepped before painting.  There are a couple of
small bubbles on the hatch lid, otherwise no rust was
noted.  The usual Mk 1 trouble spots were inspected, with
no rust found.  Both rear axle mount points and surrounding
areas were found to be in solid condition with no evidence
of rust.  The one weak spot may be the fact that the car
shows minor evidence of being in a collision with damage to
the a-pillar at the door mount point.  Also, the rocker
panel under the driver's door appears to have been replaced
and no rubberized undercoating was used in the repair
paintwork.  This should be remedied soon as the paint in
this area is getting thin with road dirt "sandblasting"
away the paint.

The car comes complete with a black Zender (aka "S") airdam
in good, un-cracked condition.  Headlights have been
converted to H1 / H4s.  The wheels are an old-skool BBS
mesh, 13", with Yokahama AV1-60s mounted with at least 80%
tread remaining.

The engine bay is in average-to-better condition.  One
vacuum line was noted to be unconnected and slightly too
short to reach it's proper connection - easily remedied
with a new piece of hose.  No rust was found on the strut
towers, nor did there appear to be any frame damage.  There
is some sort of aftermarket upper strut bar installed as
well.

Interior:
The interior is in extremely good condition, and is, in
keeping with the rest of the car, very "retro" & original.
The side panels, carpet, and rear seats are all factory
red.  (The rear seats are red "pleather" material.)  Front
seats have been replaced with black Corbeau racing seats,
the driver's side having a 5-point harness installed.
There is an additional speaker cutout for tweeters in the
map pockets.  The headliner is very clean, and perhaps the
crowning jewel is the UNCRACKED (black with woodgrain)
dashboard.  The odometer reads 68k miles (or was it 86k?
Damn dyslexia.).  It is not known if the odometer is
functional or not, see driving impression, below.  Black
factory-rubber floormats with "Scirocco" in block letters
are present, original equipment for the rear seats however.
 The Hurst shifter does not appear to function correctly as
the reverse lockout is not present.

The trunk was inspected and no evidence of collision damage
was found.  There is an aftermarket tie-bar installed
between the strut towers.  The carpet on the hatch cover
has faded mostly to white from the original red.  There are
speakers installed in the hatch cover, as well as some
rather home-brew looking third (and forth?) brakelights.
There is also evidence of a trailer hitch attachment also
having been installed at one time, but has been partially
removed.

Documentation:
The car comes with a binder that includes the original
window sticker, (delivered to Autobahn VW in Dayton Ohio)
as well as a price-quote sheet dated July 1985 for
installation of numerous modifications mostly having to do
with rebuilding the engine and installing the Callaway
Turbo.  This work appears to have been performed in New
Jersey, and includes a plaque (never installed in the car)
with the shop's name.  (R&A or something, I didn't write it
down, sorry.)  The Callaway installation manual is
included, as well as the dealer service booklet (first
service, for delivery, December 1981), owner's manual, and
Bentley manual.

Driving impression:
Let me state for the record that I did not drive the car
due to several factors.  First, it was 17F outside and the
cold start valve does not appear to be operating.  After
some coaxing, the car did fire up and settle into a rather
high idle.  The tach was not functioning, and the voltmeter
did not show a charge.  Second, the racing seats do not
slide far enough forward for my short frame to reach the
pedals comfortably.  Finally, we had received a dusting of
snow the night before and there was quite a bit of salt on
the streets.  I did rock the car in it's parking place a
couple times and clutch travel appeared normal with no
binding or chattering.

I did get a "basement, low as I can go" figure from the
salesman - if he can come down any further or not is not
known.  His final price was $2750 (off of $3495) plus tax &
title (title fee only if out of state.)  Contact Jim Welch
at Chairo Auto Exchange - (937) 859-1971.  The car is
located in Miamisburg Ohio, just south of Dayton.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172