Mk2 Filler Necks.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:02:49 -0500, "Adam Garside"
<adam_garside@lycos.com> wrote:

>I don't know if you US guys suffer the same problem as we do in the UK of rusty filler necks that then drop into the fuel tank? The new necks cost ?200ish ($350US) from VW so most of us have to fabricate our own or trek round junk yards.

My Mk1 filler neck was the source of rust that got into my fuel system
and screwed up my old Solex carb.  I thought first it was the tank
itself, but (after pulling it all apart..grrrr) it was only the neck.

Having no source for a Mk1 filler (are they different?) I took mine to
a "gas tank re-nu" shop I found in the LA area.  For 35usd they
blasted and recoated it with the same process they use on tanks.  No
more problems since (about 2 years).

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9