Fair price for an '88 16V?

There's a red '88 16V for sale near here, and I'm going to go take a look at it.

They've got an asking price that seems high; I'd like to know what the list has
paid recently for 16V's.  I haven't seen it, so I can't say what shape it is in,
but the ad says "A/C, new tires/ clutch/ paint, etc. Good cond."

Let's assume no rust, no cracks in the dash.

What would you pay for it?

| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI       94 Passat GLX                 |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net          81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
|                                 86 Scirocco                   |