Pics of the scirocco and a question about a hose

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 02:14:59 -0800, Jacob Hawes
<gr8hunter1@comcast.net> wrote:

>I checked the bently and had problems finding this bit. Is it part of
>the egr system? I really have very little idea of what I am looking at.
>I know the basics, starter, block, valves, distributer, that sort of
>thing, but when you get into parts of the fuel system or exhaust system
>I am still a neophyte. I could try and trace hoses and stuff, but I
>wouldn't know what something is actually going to. What exactly would a
>vacuum leak do?

A vacuum leak could cause very poor running, sputtering, stumbling,
poor fuel mileage, etc. but if it's not doing one or more of these,
I'd suspect that the delay switch has simply been bypassed.  It could
indeed just be a part of the egr/emissions plumbing and as essential
as the extra one I have that is no longer used.

*IF* your distributor has two vacuum connections, the one that points
to the passenger side is the retard and should be hooked to the intake
manifold and provide maximum vacuum at idle.  The one that points up
and towards the driver side is the advance and is hooked in somewhere
above the throttle plate providing increased vacuum when the throttle
is blipped open.  If you want to confirm the vacuum advance-retard
system is functioning properly, pull the lines off the dizzy one at a
time when the car is idling (and warmed up) to check.  Blip the
throttle.  The advance line sucks harder (and the engine stumbles a
bit for lack of advance).  Reconnect the advance and pull the retard
line, which (at idle) has a strong vacuum.  Blip the throttle.  The
retard line sucks less as you do this.  Sorry, but I can only provide
some theory as I have a carbureted car. YMMV.

My .02 on vacuum leaks:  Often leaks and other non-functioning bits of
a vacuum system are masked by adjusting idle speed, fuel mixture, etc.
wildly out of spec.  It's worth your time to understand the system
functions, troubleshoot, and generally a cheap fix, to eliminate the
leaks.  Nearly every car of the age we are dealing with here will have
some.  Every leak you find and fix will make the car run better.

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9